Allocation of Parental Responsibility/Paternity

Allocation of Parental Responsibility/Paternity

Unmarried couples who have children together but live apart should negotiate legal arrangements for child support, allocation of parental responsibilities and parenting time. In certain cases paternity may be in dispute and can typically be resolved by genetic testing of the potential father and the child. Establishing paternity is important when determining the allocation of parental responsibility, or child custody. It also allows the mother to formally request child support from the father, and also provides the father with a number of rights, including the right to be a parent to his child, regardless of whether the mother  wants him to do so.

Call (303) 816-3171 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.

  • "Excellent communication, very prompt on returning calls and emails."
    Katie is a fantastic attorney! She is very thorough, detailed, and supportive. She is wonderful to work with, so courteous and friendly. Excellent communication, very prompt on returning calls and emails. She did a wonderful job representing me. Highly recommend Katie!
    - Kimberly Fajt
  • "I would recommend them first!!"
    Katie was very good at being responsive to my court matters. She and Jack were always so nice and respectful! I would recommend them first!!
    - Lynnea Archuleta
  • "She completed more work in one week than my previous attorney had accomplished in six months."
    Attorney Katie Goff is phenomenal! She’s educated, punctual, caring; yet authoritative. I was between a rock and a hard spot when she agreed to take on my messy case. She completed more work in one week than my previous attorney had accomplished in six months. I appreciate everything she and her staff accomplished for me, and will forever be indebted.
    - Lyn Lane
  • "Lance GOFF is one of the most intelligent bankruptcy attorneys in Denver and Boulder."
    Lance GOFF is one of the most intelligent bankruptcy attorneys in Denver and Boulder. He represented our family with excellence. We had a long and highly adversarial case which spanned 3 years and concluded with a four day trial. He is a truly gifted trial lawyer who defends his clients with every once of energy he has. Thank You Lance for everything!
    - Jeff Mullins

    How to Establish Paternity in Colorado

    Paternity can be established “voluntarily” or “involuntarily.” Voluntary establishment is straightforward: If both parents agree who the child’s father is, they may sign a “Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity” form. Once this document has been signed by both parents, the man's status as the child’s father will be legally recognized, and his name can be added to the child’s birth certificate. 

    A voluntary acknowledgment of paternity can be revoked within 60 days of signing the form. Otherwise, the parent who wishes to rescind the acknowledgment will need to take further legal action.

    If the parents cannot agree on the identity of the child’s father, a qualifying party will likely need to initiate involuntary establishment proceedings, which involve the courts. Only certain people and agencies can file this court action.

    In Colorado, the following parties can start the involuntary paternity establishment process:

    • The child’s mother
    • The child (if he or she is at least 21 years old)
    • The child’s personal representative (if the child is less than 18 years old)
    • A man who believes he is the child’s father
    • A man who has been identified as the child’s father
    Continue Reading Read Less

    Why You Should Establish Paternity in Colorado

    Whether you are the mother, father, or child, establishing paternity is an important legal procedure.

    As a mother, establishing paternity is important if you wish to obtain child support from the father. If the father has health insurance, establishing paternity may also allow his child to access benefits as the father’s dependent. 

    As a father, establishing paternity can help you obtain the rights afforded to parents in Colorado. An unmarried man will not have a legal right to participate in his child’s life until a formal determination of the father-child relationship has been made.

    As a child, establishing paternity can facilitate access to key benefits, even if you are an adult. If your father qualifies for veteran’s benefits and/or disability benefits, his dependent child may be eligible for these benefits, as well. A child also stands to inherit assets if their father passes away without a valid will.

    If you have questions about paternity or allocation of parental responsibility, please call (303) 816-3171 or contact us online.

    Continue Reading Read Less
    Responsive & Diligent Service Contact Us for Your Consultation

    Our Team Is Here To Support You!

    Call Us Today (303) 816-3171
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your phone number.
      This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
    • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy